A special occasion brownie, made with white spelt flour, ideal for a seasonal celebration. Soak the prunes in fruit juice or amaretto to add a nutty flavour. We’ve added non-dairy/vegan alternatives to this recipe.
50g Dried cranberries / dried sour cherries
3 tbsp Amaretto or fruit juice
250g cane sugar
4 eggs / Egg replacer – ie. Orgran)
75g double cream / Oatly Creamy oat)
150g White Spelt Flour
200g high quality plain chocolate
75g macadamia nuts, halved
75g pecan nuts
butter/ margarine/ coconut oil , for tray
Equipment needed: 20x30cm/8×12″ baking tray, electric beaters and mixing bowl
COOKING TIME – 30-35 minutes
- Rub butter /coconut oil around the inside of a 20x30cm/8×12″ baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Cut the prunes into quarters and put them into a bowl, add the cranberries/cherries and amaretto or fruit juice, cover and leave for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Put the sugar into a mixing bowl, add the eggs/egg replacer and beat well with electric whisk
- Beat in the cream.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Pre-heat the oven 180°C / Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas mark 4
- Gently melt the chocolate, add it to the bowl and beat well.
- Stir in the soaking fruit, macadamia and pecan nuts.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared baking tray, spreading it out to the edges.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Leave the brownie in the tray to cool then cut into squares or rectangles.