QUINOA POWER PORRIDGE
Teresa Cutter, The Healthy Chef, is another favourite of ours as she creates purely delicious functional foods for optimum health and wellbeing. A classically trained chef, nutritionist, author and accredited fitness trainer, Teresa combines her love of food and fitness within her own life and shares her recipes and knowledge through her site, books and social media.
Her Quinoa Power Porridge is something to get excited about, as it not only tastes like a delicious apple strudel but it provides instant warming nourishment – the best way to start your day.
Quinoa fact: Technically quinoa is not a grain but a relative of green leafy vegetables like spinach. It’s gluten free and has a low GI of 53, plus it’s a complete protein which means that it contains a good serving of all nine essential amino acids that the body needs for repair.
Quinoa Power Porridge recipe:
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2)
• 1 cup milk your choice of seed, dairy, soy or almond
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 cup quinoa
• 2 apples, chopped or grated with skin
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon ground linseed (flaxseed) or LSA (linseed, sunflower seed, almonds)
• Rinse quinoa under cold running water
• Combine with the water in a pot and bring to the boil
• Reduce the heat – cover and cook for 10 minutes until soft
• Add milk, apple, cinnamon, seeds and vanilla
• Cook for 5 minutes until creamy – add more milk if needed for a creamier texture
• Spoon into serving bowls and enjoy