Butternut & Lentil Coconut Soup
Warm yourself from the inside out with a bowl of homemade soup and you will soon have a glorious glow. We love this Butternut & Lentil Coconut Soup from The Flexitarian – we recommend you check it out as they have some fabulous recipes.
This soup is silky and smooth, flavoured with fresh lemongrass and warming ginger and is the perfect antidote for cold days which we all know about this week! It is quite mild, so add a bit of a kick by sprinkling some red chilli on top and some pumpkin seeds for extra crunch. Butternut is high in vitamins A, C and E while lentils are a good source of protein, both are also a good source of fibre.
Butternut & Lentil Coconut Soup recipe
• 900g butternut squash [2 lbs]
• 175g split red lentils [6.2 oz / US 1 cup]
• 1 onion
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 lemongrass stalks
• 3 Tbsp grated ginger root
• 25 litre vegetable stock [2.2 pint / US 5 cups]
• 400ml coconut milk [14oz]
• juice of 3 limes (to taste)
• 30g fresh coriander
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• Toppings: red chilli to taste + pumpkin seeds [optional]
• salt & pepper
• Peel butternut squash and cut into small dice.
• Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion, grated ginger and crushed garlic.
• Bash the lemongrass stalks with a rolling pin. Add to the onion mixture. Fry gently until onion is soft.
• Add diced butternut squash, red lentils and vegetable stock.
• Bring to the boil, then cook covered under medium heat for 20 mins.
• When done add coconut milk and coriander. Liquidise until you have a silky texture.
• Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.
• Serve with chopped red chilli and pumpkin seeds on top if using.
• You can adjust the thickness of the soup with more stock if desired.